Brookfield is one of the largest investors in and managers of real estate assets in Brazil, with BRL 9 billion under management.
Its real estate investments are focused in the following sectors:
High-end commercial office buildings
In 2018, the real estate group made its first investment in the logistics sector with the acquisition of two developments totaling an area of 200,000 sqm and 25,000 sqm of additional construction potential.
With an existing 70% ownership in a building housing L´Oréal’s Brazilian head office in Rio de Janeiro, Brookfield along with Future Fund, its JV partner, completed the acquisition of the remaining 30% stake.
In early 2019, Brookfield completed the acquisition of five new buildings, three in São Paulo and two in Rio de Janeiro, expanding its leasable area in high-end office property from 355,000 sqm to 439,000 sqm.
In real estate, Brookfield intends to continue focusing on attracting new tenants and maintaining high occupancy rates across all its developments. The company will also remain focused on finding new opportunities to acquire both office buildings and industrial warehousing, sectors that have strong investment potential in Brazil.
With respect to shopping centers, the increase in sales by 9.3% over the year-end holiday period in 2018, compared with the same period in 2017, indicates resumed consumer confidence, and 2019 is forecasted to have sales growth of 7%*.
*According to Brazilian Shopping Centers Association (Abrasce) data published in December 2018